I need to vent. Because I can't find a place where I can actually contact Google and inform them how badly they have screwed up their Maps with their latest edition.  I hate what Google has done to its Maps. I'm hoping someone at Google sees this, and begins the slow, painful process of arousing corporate awareness that they have screwed the pooch this time.

Now, let me interject here that Google deserves great praise and thanks for coming up with the idea of Street View in the first place. Especially since I cannot figure out how sending out a camera crew and recording and tech whizzes to drive all over the world can immediately boost Google's bottom line.

Before the "upgrade" to Google Maps, I spent many happy and fascinating hours traveling around the world, and visiting far off lands and cities I will probably never afford to really visit in my life. I especially enjoyed the Street View function, which allows you to see what's actually in a locale as if you were there yourself.

And Street View worked wonderfully in the previous edition of Maps. I would just move the roller wheel on my mouse to zoom in on the city or place I wanted to visit. If Street View was available, a little sort of stick guy icon appeared, and then I would zoom into Street View, and start looking around. If I wanted to see the intersection of Lincoln and Western in Chicago, I just zoomed right down to exactly where I wanted to be. I could type in an exact street address, and zoom down right to the very spot in the street in front of that address! It was awesome!

Griping, bitching, kvethcing, moaning and belly-aching continues below...

In the new edition, I can no longer zoom down to Street View. I zoom down as far as is allowed, then I search for the damn new icon that opens a bunch of boxes at the bottom of the screen. Each box has a photo of a street scene, and a line from the box to where that scene is supposed to be on the map. Clicking on the box takes you, finally, to Street View. Usually, it's not exactly where I want to be. And, usually, there is not even a box that goes to the exact spot I want to go to.

What ever programmers or team of programmers designed the awkward, annoying, and nearly useless process of using Street View ought to be deprived of all pizza and soft drinks for a full year! This is NOT an improvement! This is so annoying, I started looking at other maps on the tubez to find a replacement for Google Maps. Certainly not the result Google was planning for, I imagine.

And what's with all the new icons? Why do programmers think making new icons for functions, previously labeled in plain language, is an "improvement"? And then moving the icon or button or whatever animated gizmo they come up with, from the left side of the screen, to the right side, or from the top to the bottom, is an upgrade? Are these programmers seriously that deficient in normal human interaction that they don't realize people hate having to learn how to do the same old thing in a new way? Imagine if every few years, Ford and GM and Toyota and other automakers thought it would be cool to move the brake pedal to where the accelerator was, and the accelerator was replaced with a throttle where the console gear shift used to be? And to change gears, you now had to reach behind the seat and play the opening theme from Star Wars on a xylophone? Really, that's how irritating some of the "new and improved" software is. Software from BIG companies that should know better. (Are you listening, Microsoft? Your new version of Windows sucks mule turds!) Don't they do focus groups on this stuff before they release it to dazzle the general public with its bone-headedness?

Oh, by the way, Google, gmail suffers from this also. What's with having two left-pointing arrows within, like four of five inches of each other at the top of the screen. One arrow button is to return to the inbox, and the other arrow button is to reply to an email? The clown who came up with this design probably also had a hand in "upgrading" Google Maps, I bet.  What's wrong with just using the damn word "REPLY"? I actually worry now that we are raising an entire generation of dolts who can't read a single damn word of English, but are highly skilled at programming mega-computers to such up every little tiddle, jot, and dot you and I ever punch into a keyboard or cell phone.

From future hearings of the House Oversight Committee

Q. Mr. Heiferswallop, you admit to this committee that the NSA has recorded and stored the snores of every single American in every single bedroom in America?

A. Yes, Representative Kisskeister. And more than that. We've got every single snore from everyone, whether they were in a bedroom or not. We got 'em if they were snoring in the back seat of an abandoned car. We got 'em if they were snoring under a bridge, or in a garbage dumpster. We got 'em all. We've got snores, belches, farts, yawns, prayers, curses, and some, uh, very arousing moans.

Q. And, Mr. Heiferswallop, you admit that you helped program this astonishing capability to detect, record, and store every single snore, belch, fart, and so on, anywhere, any time.

A. Yes, Representative Kisskeister.

Q. Mr. Heiferswallop, aren't you aware that this activity, in which you admit an active and ongoing part, is strictly prohibited under U.S. law, as explained in the letter we sent to your and your colleagues last month?

A. No, Representative Kisskeister. I'm sorry, I didn't read your letter. Well, can't actually. I can't read a single word of English. No one at NSA does, that I know of.

Q. Oh, well, then, I'm sorry to trouble you. Obviously, if you can't read the law, you can't be expected to obey it! You're dismissed.

And while I'm roiling on a roll here, let me implore someone, anyone, who has control over The Emperor's Death Star, to please direct the death beam on the headquarters of Adobe, and put that company out of my misery. I am totally fed-up with how FlashPlayer and Reader slow down my PC and render it almost inoperable, until I kill them off in Task Manager. And yes, I've searched for solutions to excess CPU cycles and what not, and I'm plain tired of tickling the innards of my PC to try and make Adobe's inescapable software run smoothly. A software company should be responsible for making its software run properly, not me.

7:21 PM PT: Thanks many times over to JeffW in the comments, who wrote that we can just toggle back to the old version. Jeff, I swear I could not find how to do so a few weeks ago!

For those who are also irritated with the new version of Google Maps, and want to switch back to the old version, I found the command by clicking on the little cog wheel near the bottom of the screen. If I recall, it was the left-most icon in the groups of icons at the bottom right. (I don't dare try to go back to the new version to confirm the location, or even that the icon is indeed the dreaded cog wheel. Bad things always seem to happen when I click on a little cog wheel icon.)

I will leave this diary up, for a few reasons. First, because I included a general rant about the inanity of most software "upgrades." Second, because hopefully someone with some actual responsibility for software development will read it, and begin to get an inkling that some people have reached the point they hold software engineers in about as low esteem as traffic engineers. And third, JeffW's comment is a wonderful example of how this community can get even the most mundane of problems quickly solved.

Originally posted to NBBooks on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:26 PM PDT.

Also republished by Cranky Users.

•  Tip Jar (125+ / 0-)

A conservative is a scab for the oligarchy.

by NBBooks on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:26:30 PM PDT

•  Fine rant (27+ / 0-)

Especially the transcript of the Kisskeister hearing.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:31:00 PM PDT

•  I have several apps and programs that (27+ / 0-)

keep annoying me to update, and I ignore them. Nearly every updated program is a fail. Yahoo mail, for example.

Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. Theodore Roosevelt

by Zwoof on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:33:12 PM PDT

•  So why not uninstall, (3+ / 0-)
    Cadillac64, Aunt Pat, ladybug53

and re-install the old version?

I am a warrior for peace. And not a gentle man... Steve Mason, 1940-2005

by Wayward Wind on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:38:36 PM PDT

•  Well, I just had a look, and... (24+ / 0-)

...the old version was there, with a button to the new version. If you can toggle back, I'd try that.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:48:20 PM PDT

•  Yup- you(they) caN toggle back (12+ / 0-)

to the old "classic" version
      Via the  "?"  heLp-buTTon @ the boTTom.
      (& also d0 for "this session" / or poimently) niCe

~A govt lobbied, campaigned and selected by corporation... is good for corporation. Bad for people.~ -8.88 -8.36

by Orj ozeppi on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:58:09 PM PDT

•  Yayyyyy! (27+ / 0-)

Your comment caused me to make a more determined search to suss out which icon the "switch" command was hiding under. Ah ah, that detestable little cog wheel! I actually tried the beta version of the new maps last year, and switched back the next day. I completely forgot about the issue, then one day, ouch, there was the new version of maps. I spent no little amount of time one evening a few weeks or months ago trying to find a way to switch back. I wonder if the option was there or not at the time.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

A conservative is a scab for the oligarchy.

by NBBooks on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:59:42 PM PDT

•  I have the new version, and while I agree it (1+ / 0-)
        Puddytat

sucks -- street view works just like it always has for me. I grab the little yellow man and drag him over the map, and drop him on the road. Splat. That opens street view, right where I dropped him.

Is that not how you've always done it? I didn't know there was another "zoom in" way that you describe?

Check out my liberal tshirts, stickers, housewares and gifts at DemSwag.com featuring the top selling bumper sticker Hate Socialism? Get off the road!

by Eileen B on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:46:06 PM PDT

•  For the time being (14+ / 0-)

I have little doubt that Google will continue to make that available for a short while, use it to collect information allowing them to tweak the "new and improved" Google Maps, and then shut it off entirely.

I'm a geologist who works on projects in many states and countries. Google Maps was a useful tool for visualizing general topography (with the Terrain feature), identifying hydrologic features (though Google could do a much better job at labeling the names of streams, ponds, and lakes), and, with Street View, confirming the location of the entrance to facilities and industrial plants, confirming business names, and similar.

"Was" being the operative word.

I recognize I am an atypical user. I didn't use Google Maps to sightsee or view or upload personal photos of places. I used it for work. I had grown to rely on its speed, its simplicity, and its lack of bells and whistles cluttering the information it provides.

That's gone now, or, rather, will be gone once the older version of Google Maps is rowed out on a boat on Google lake, shot in the head, and pushed overboard.

Google obviously has decided it would be better served (or, rather, it's information gathering on users) would be better served by tarting up the product with all kinds of useless crapola that might appeal to the casual user but basically destroys the tool for those who actually use it for productive work.

•  I forgot to mention the great terrain feature (4+ / 0-)

in the old version. I used to look for lakes or rivers in mountainous areas, then zoom down to Street View to enjoy the scenery. If Street View was not available (say, for the Carpathian Mountains in Poland), I could always almost find some photos of the area in the old Google Maps. I'm not sure where to find the photos anymore, or if they are even still available.

A conservative is a scab for the oligarchy.

by NBBooks on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 05:18:56 AM PDT

•  Agreed, with caveats. (0+ / 0-)

First, yeah, Google could do a ton better with labeling things. It's not like the Geonames database doesn't exist  :Þ  And other map offerings do much better labeling. Compare, for example, Google Maps and Ja.is (their main competitor in Iceland). Já primarily profits by having a decent database in comparison to Google's woefully lacking one. Is there even a contest as to which one is doing a better job here?

That said, diaries like this always bother me. It's one thing to complain about bugs. But usage changes are not to be evaluated on users' first reactions! It's like Henry Ford's apocryphical quote: "If I'd asked people what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." You can apply it to almost everything. Do you think we should still all be typing in DOS commands on our PCs?

It's always hard to get used to having to do something a different way, and the changes can be frustrating, especially when they come out of the blue.  That doesn't mean that the different way is wrong. It just means that you're not used to it. You haven't had time to get used to it, to get good at operating it, to find the old features that you liked, to find out about the new ones and get comfortable with their usage, etc.

And sometimes taking steps forward means first taking steps backward. For example, I'm a Blender user. Blender was progressing down a road with the 2.4 series that was exposing serious limitations on their ability to add new capabilities and make the interface consistent. With the 2.6 series, they did a major recode, and tons of things changed. About 80% of the GUI was rearranged, buttons renamed, shortcuts switched, workflows greatly altered, etc. In a tool as complex as Blender, orders of magnitude more complicated than Google Maps, that's was a MAJOR hit to users, some of whom make their living with it. And some capabilities were lost in the process, and it took a long time to get them back (some things never came back). But today I doubt you'd find many Blender users who'd say it was the wrong decision. Blender is much better for it.

Then it happened again - this time, not with the interface, but with the renderer. The new Cycles renderer was added, with the intent on it replacing the Blender Internal renderer. You can still use the old renderer, but they're trying to move people to Cycles. Cycles lost a ton of capabilities of the old blender renderer, entire menus disappeared. There wasn't even a preview mode any more to preview your textures (they finally, after a long wait, added one). The menus are rather counterintuitive, giving you all sorts of options that you'd never dream of using for things while not making obvious those that you most likely want to use. Things that were trivial are often no longer suchly - for example, watch a new user's face when they try to add a texture with a specular highlight  ;)  But the benefit is immense. The blender internal render was based on a bunch of hacks and approximations to try to "look like" the real world (which often didn't play well with each other), while Cycles actually uses real world optics in almost every , and is thus basically unlimited in its ability to accurately model real world lighting and materials. It also offers things like progressive render and the ability to realtime render your scene while you edit. It's clearly the future, and bit by bit it's getting easier to use. But again, sometimes in software design you have to make painful choices to allow your software to keep evolving.

Note that I'm not claiming that the new Google Maps specifically is such a case. I'm just pointing out, new users' initial reactions aren't the best judge of whether changes are in the long run for the best.  For a software company, making that call involves focus grouping users over time, and having a detailed knowledge of the long-term development goals and complications/problems in the current product and ones that will arise in the future.

The day I'll consider justice blind is the day that a rape defendant's claim of "She consented to the sex" is treated by the same legal standards as a robbery defendant's claim of "He consented to give me the money": as an affirmative defense.

by Rei on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 07:58:32 AM PDT

•  I think computer programmer (14+ / 0-)

is one of the last remaining decent jobs.  If they don't keep making themselves "useful", there is no more job.

Your rant was wonderful.

I hate apps.  I understand them for specialty shit, but it's become ridiculous now.  You have to download an app just to view pictures anymore.  Blech.

Listening to the NRA on school safety is like listening to the tobacco companies on cigarette safety. (h/t nightsweat)

by PsychoSavannah on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 06:54:15 PM PDT

•  I've had similar thoughts myself (11+ / 0-)

Especially the new Windows. Eeegads, what a frigging disaster! Somehow, someway, the next PC I have to get, I'm switching to Apple.

A conservative is a scab for the oligarchy.

by NBBooks on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:36:45 PM PDT

•  Smart move! :) (1+ / 0-)
        Puddytat

by Eileen B on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:46:48 PM PDT

•  Apple's UI's Are Also In Steep Decline (5+ / 0-)

Nothing as stupid as "ribbons" yet, but the rise of mobile is killing usability on desktops everywhere.   For a great example see the iTunes program over the last five years - great swatches of functionality just ripped out or buried in places hat can't be found.

Yes, IOS was revolutionary for phones.....but it's still far inferior to even a 1995 desktop UI.   But no one wants to support both so everyone is crippling desktops.

•  IOS is getting similar treatment. (1+ / 0-)
          PsychoSavannah

My wife updated her iPhone to ... 7.1?  Anyway, when you're entering a phone number, it no longer has a bar with the word "Call".  It shows a 1950s-style handset, in green.  Then when you're ready to end the call, it doesn't say "End", it shows the same handset, in red.

How many people under 40 even know what that icon is?

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 07:16:58 AM PDT

•  Same As the HTML 'Revolution' (1+ / 0-)
          PsychoSavannah

How many epic failures trying to mimic the functionality of a rich, functional desktop app written in.. say PowerBuilder to web based using enough stupid HTML tricks to drive developers and users insane.  End result:  A dumbed down user interface with half or less of the functionality.  I have to say, gmail runing in a web browser is pretty slick, but not many small shops have the billions in resources to do the same for themselves.

Now they're being dumbed down an additional level to suit finger and thumb input on postage stamp 'phone' displays.

•  I won't switch since most of (0+ / 0-)

the industries I freelance for use Windows.  But I gave them an earful for Windows 8.  The least productive change since.....ever.  Can't work on it.

by PsychoSavannah on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 05:23:26 AM PDT

•  They could still get a job re-writing the yearly (1+ / 0-)
      MKSinSA

de-icing procedures for a certain airline I know.  Every year, they are more complex, more arcane, more difficult to figure out, and take more flowcharts (and time).  All in spite of the fact that neither ice, nor aerodynamics, has changed all that much.

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." --Townes Van Zandt

by Bisbonian on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 05:36:38 AM PDT

•  More like a product team (0+ / 0-)

Chances are a product team came up with the UI changes and they're the ones more likely to have pushed for this new version to be built.  In my experience in the startup world, a lot of programmers simply build what they're told to build.

But...there is a tendency for the entire tech world to get overly self congratulatory and create a lot of rubbish thinking it's great.

•  I used to get work done (31+ / 0-)

in Office 2003 -- even had the shortcut keys on the Menus memorized.

Now in Office 2007 -- I spend most my time scrolling through a multitude of Ribbons, and hidden fly-out panels, and pop-menus;

from there, then scrolling through multitude of Icons and Roulette wheels,
    trying to figure out how to do something,

that used to take me 5 seconds in the old version.

I suspect their Focus Group consists of College Kids,
    recovering from a week-end of partying,
    for whom getting work done quickly, is the last thing on their minds.

Sooner or later were going to have to: Trade in those Carbon Footprints ...

by jamess on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:03:10 PM PDT

•  you probably know this... (8+ / 0-)

but just in case not, you can put icons for your favorite commands on the toolbars.

•  Word Perfect 5.1 worked the best for me (8+ / 0-)

It was very easy to use.  I don't do anything fancy so it had all the functions that I needed.  It had easy key codes and I didn't need to take my hands off the keyboard to use the mooch.  All the upgrades after that were harder for me to use.

And don't even get me started on word, which I had to switch to when Word Perfect stopped.

•  WP 4.2 With the F-Keys to the Left of the KEyboard (7+ / 0-)

I could type and format over 50 WPM. I used 4.2 to write HTML at damned near the same speed till I hadda move up to 5.1 for the desktop "publishing" features. I coded HTML and dBse & Clipper programs using WP as my editor because I was so fast as a touch typist.

I still have 5.1 on my XP machine for some legacy documents, programs from my Reagan era stage band with embedded graphics scanned in with the Logitech Hand Scanner.

To this day I still do business documentation graphics using Harvard Graphics 3.0 for DOS. Hey, it's mouse aware. In XP I run it full screen with a few parameter tweaks.

Using a 3rd party utility "Dos Box" I can get HG and my old Starglobe astronomy sky program to run under Win 7 but they're very jerky, I haven't found the right switches if they exist, yet.

by Gooserock on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:06:30 PM PDT

•  As long as we're going down this path.... (3+ / 0-)
          Puddytat, flowerfarmer, jamess

Wordstar was the first real word processor for the personal computer.   When they introduced the fiasco known as Wordstar 2000 and clearly could no longer could keep up with new features, I switched to Word Perfect.

Here is the little recognized legacy of Wordstar:

[I]t had a lasting impact on the word processing industry by introducing keyboard shortcuts that are still widely used, namely Ctrl-B for Bold, Ctrl-I for Italic, and Ctrl-U for Underline.
      •  Boom! And Deftly Killed by Microsoft (0+ / 0-)

That period was tragic!  Microsoft was in one back room developing Windows 3.0 releasing dribs and drabs out to development community.  Meanwhile, the guys in the other back room at the same time building a version of Word to fully function in the new Windows platform.  Release Windows 3.1, then immediately release Word to run on it to a world filled with ooohs and ahhhhs.  Meanwhile, WordPerfect clawing its way to play catchup for a Windows version.  Anybody remember the first WordPerfect for Windows version?  How about Autocad 13 for Windows?

•  the software life cycle (5+ / 0-)

Any application has basically three phases:

Growth stage: real improvements and useful features are added in successive releases.

Peak stage: perfection reached, any changes made will degrade the app.

Downhill stage: pressure to continue release cycle leads to repeated radical changes (usually in UI) that destroy the honed functionality of previous versions. In many cases useful functions are even removed to "streamline" the app in a misguided attempt to appeal to an imaginary user base of idiots, thereby pissing off and alienating actual users.

Exhibit A: Microsoft Office
      Exhibit B: google maps (browser and Android versions).

"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

by quill on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 10:09:57 PM PDT

•  You can get the old version if you know how (15+ / 0-)

You have to look for Classic maps, particularly Classic My Maps.

But I agree with you, the new version sucks.  Why break something that worked?  The new version makes no improvements whatsoever and removes most of the good features of the old version.

•  Why (1+ / 0-)
      NBBooks

indeed. Software companies aren't the only ones to fix what already works. But the reason it can happen there is the same it happens anywhere else.

EG: a graphic shown on a powerpoint screen with the boss covering half a wall at the office meeting is obviously a stylized image of a credit card going through a reader, and maybe a lot of people will see that and know it means "Buy." But when it's simplified into a schematic and shrunk down to the size of half a fingernail it will just look like some confusing short lines and dashes.

Why do that? Because this is such an awesome badass company with such pioneering, visionary owners, that it HAS to be unique, their own brand -- maybe it'll catch on and they'll be trendsetters! -- and no one raised their hand at the meeting and asked "that could be confusing and we don't want to confuse people who are trying to buy ... why don't we just write B-U-Y on it?"

•  While we are ranting (17+ / 0-)

I just love the way the a Google street view van came into our private community. I live on a corner triangle lot with streets on two sides. You can now zoom in on every single door and window in our house.

You can see my flatscreen, my computer desk, and even the headboard of my bed.

To top that off since my garage door was open, you can see my snap-on boxes that are full of thousands of dollars worth of tools.........

And to think we moved out to the country for a little privacy.

Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream. -Khalil Gibran

by Toyotabob7 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:14:46 PM PDT

•  It's WebGL's fault. (1+ / 0-)
    Cadillac64

My computer apparently won't do WebGL, so no new crap for me.

warning: snark probably above

by NE2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:20:42 PM PDT

•  Sounds like an older computer, really old (n/t) (1+ / 0-)
      Cadillac64

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:32:20 PM PDT

•  The model apparently came out in 2008 (5+ / 0-)

and works just fine. Some stuff is a bit slower than I'd prefer, but I ain't complaining.

The new Google Maps actually does work here, and isn't much slower. But I've never been defaulted to the new. I seem to remember going to http://get.webgl.org/ (which is down right now) and getting some sort of message about my video card not being supported; presumably Google isn't going to switch those cards.

One more thing: Google's second autocomplete when you type "new google maps" is "new google maps sucks". Fourth is 'slow'.

warning: snark probably above

by NE2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:50:53 PM PDT

•  Everyone is at the mercy of input weightings - (0+ / 0-)

even Google, itself.

Not supporting WebGL likely means that you are either running an older OS or that you have a video card which has no OpenGL drivers - yes?  Even for 2008 that might be less usual, I feel - have you tried this WebGL test page?  If that's somehow successful, the WebGL apps here are kind of cool.

by wader on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:26:21 PM PDT

•  Nay (1+ / 0-)
            wader
            Platform    Win32
            Agent    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
            Yet I can go to http://www.google.com/.... I guess that's not WebGL. Maybe it's that it's not slow if you have WebGL?

warning: snark probably above

by NE2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:32:17 PM PDT

•  Admittedly, it's not slow on my PC (0+ / 0-)

Windows 7, i5 processor, 4 year-old Nvidia graphics card that's middle-of-the-road in terms of GPU power.

You appear to be on Windows XP (i.e., normal for systems from 2008).  Do you know which video card (embedded or not) that your system is using?  You can check on the Firefox for Windows blocked graphics drivers here, in case there's a possibility that you need a newer driver or a different browser to view WebGL graphics, I'm thinking.

by wader on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:50:02 PM PDT

•  You seem to think I want WebGL. (0+ / 0-)

All I know that uses it is this (at least for 3D stuff) and games. And I don't care about either.

warning: snark probably above

by NE2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 09:34:20 PM PDT

•  You mentioned the WebGL lack of support (0+ / 0-)

and it seemed interesting to understand why that was the case, especially since you replied.

Have a great day.

by wader on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 09:52:30 PM PDT

•  I support your ability to rant, (4+ / 0-)

even if I don't agree with most of your views.

Which . . . I don't :) .

I find the new Maps to be sleek and fast in obtaining a roadside view of new places that I need to find, then giving me quick driving directions from where I'm located at the time.  For example, I quickly learned how a synagogue looked from the road when it came to dropping off my daughter at her friend's Bat Mitzvah, which made recognizing it while driving far easier than looking for a street number (and holding up traffic behind me).

If I am understanding your references correctly, those two arrows you mentioned in GMail are on opposite sides of the screen, in different contexts: one is inside the context of an email being viewed, the other is up top, in a more general "action bar."  Again, I'm OK with that convention (which is becoming more common as formal menu bars have been fading away, I feel).

etc.

User interfaces almost always go through experimental phase before finding a happy medium for most needs and tastes when it comes to specific visual cues and/or processes - Google is highly experimental in public and have admitted to such on various occasions.  For free stuff, I'm OK with that.

Consider the free PDF X-Change Viewer for an Adobe Reader replacement - fast and easy, nice UI, I feel.  I liked their free reader so much, I bought their PDF-XChange Editor (which can also be used in Free mode, btw) instead of full-blown Adobe Acrobat.  I used to be an Adobe fanboy, but not so much in recent years - especially since they moved to cloud leases for their software instead of licensed downloads.

But, to each their own!

by wader on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:27:33 PM PDT

•  Old Usenet habitué(e)s are familiar (4+ / 0-)

with the way Google royally screwed up the search facility — it is now completely unreliable — and butchered the interface for Google Groups.  For that matter, the everyday Google search is in some ways inferior to what it was several years ago, thanks to ‘improvements’.

•  My personal pet peeve (5+ / 0-)
      BMScott, JeffW, MKSinSA, flowerfarmer, entrelac

is that you can no longer search old news articles. Yes, you can still search the ones from their (inactive?) archival scanning project, but you used to be able to go to news.google.com and search all the newspaper archive sites, even if you couldn't then view the whole article.

warning: snark probably above

by NE2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:52:48 PM PDT

•  Lincoln and Western. Brought back memories. (6+ / 0-)

I can tell you what was there 50+years ago, grew up around there. Walgreens on one corner, Fannie May candy store on the other corner, Lincoln ave lined with small mom and pop stores.
    Ethnic  German and Greek neighborhood. Greek bakeries, restaurants, 'coffee shops' (gambling?) on West Lawrence ave. German delicatessens etc. along Lincoln ave, up to Lawrence.

It was an ethnic German American neighborhood for a long time. Some were resettled after WW2, former POW's, a number  of 'German nationalists' who still held Nazi loyalties lived there. I went to school with some. There was a German American 'Bund' along Western ave, creeped me out even as a kid.

One day my best friend in grammar school (and the short time I was in HS) showed me a pic of her dad in a nazi SS uniform :(.

You're right. The changes in Google streetview suck.

•  I used to go there (4+ / 0-)

when I wanted some good - and I mean excellent - German beer sausage. And I loved the statue of Abraham Lincoln in that little triangular plot. It never occurred to me some "true believers" might be around.

I grew up in Norridge, around Cumberland and Lawrence. Diehard Cubbies fan.

A conservative is a scab for the oligarchy.

by NBBooks on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:00:13 PM PDT

•  Yes, 'Lincoln Square', and your sausage was (5+ / 0-)

probably from Meyers Deli, loved their liverwurst, (didn't 'repeat' even back then :). Used to cut school to go to the Cub games, 1969 was a heartbreaker.
        The only ward in that city that had a Republican alderman. For years.

Yes, about the true believers, they were out there. It was apparent, even in grammar school, it was kind of a skeezy 'clique'.

You must remember the 'HIP', Arbys, and there was an iconic record store, don't remember the name..

Love your sigline.

•  Oh, the best thing was the drive in movie (2+ / 0-)
          kimoconnor, peptabysmal

and I actually had come into fantastic wealth for a teen - I had acquired a girlfriend, and a car with a full backseat - before the drive in movie was torn down to make way for another shopping mall. That was across Harlem from the HIP (Harlem-Irving Plaza for those wondering).

Yeah, I remember HIP when the anchor store was Wieboldt's. I remember the Arbys, too. But the record store - Rolling Stone - was still there last time I was in Chicago two years ago. It's on Irving Park, just west of HIP, where Forest Preserve Drive intersects with Irving Park.

A conservative is a scab for the oligarchy.

by NBBooks on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 05:34:23 AM PDT

•  I agree with you, NBBooks, (7+ / 0-)

about Google Maps. In addition to the faults you mention, I find the colors are now so pale that I have difficulty seeing detail. This is not adjustable on my Mac. I also find the lack of a scale annoying. I have returned to MapQuest for many queries.

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. Mark Twain

by BlueMississippi on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:37:40 PM PDT

•  Street view shows up... (0+ / 0-)

as soon as I enter in the address.  Same as before.  Is it possible the place you're looking for doesn't have street view?

•  I cant get it to go to street view either (1+ / 0-)
    peptabysmal

The help file says to drop a pin and it will go to street view.  I haven't figured out how to drop a pin yet though.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:55:10 PM PDT

•  ok (0+ / 0-)

In Google maps (not browser) hold down a spot and it will drop a pin.  Then double click the text entry in the upper left corner (the street address not the pin that was dropped)

Then you will see street view.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:01:19 PM PDT

•  click and drag Peg Man (bottom left of screen) (2+ / 0-)
    mattc129, BlueMississippi

A green circle will appear below his dangling, swaying body and streets with SV coverage will have blue lines overlaid. Place the green circle at the desired location and release mouse button.

I think Google Maps is some of the best free software ever. I can deal with a bit of quirkiness.

All things in the sky are pure to those who have no telescopes. – Charles Fort

by subtropolis on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:31:09 PM PDT

•  Fully agree with the new browser-based Google Maps (4+ / 0-)
    NBBooks, MKSinSA, Tinfoil Hat, peptabysmal

implementation: Do Not Like.  Thankfully I finally got my Safari browser to stick with the old layout (although who knows how long it will stay this way).

Prior to that my award for "Worst 'Improved' Website" went to Photobucket. I left out Facebook because that's in a class of fail all by itself.

Slip $20 Million to a PAC and it's "speech". Slip $20 bucks to a cop and it's "jail".

by here4tehbeer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 08:36:31 PM PDT

•  I had trouble some time ago when someone had (5+ / 0-)

mislabeled a body of water on our property.  Since my grandfather constructed it and I was present during its construction, I think I am somewhat qualified to comment on its proper name.  I also noted several other problems such as incorrect addresses and other incorrect place names.
    I am supposed to be an editor or whatever it is called for teh Googlemaps and also noted a couple of structures on my property which simply did not and never has existed.  Mistaking a shovel dug drainage ditch for a river is quite an error.

I would note it took me over 3 years to get the names corrected and the structures correctly placed or deleted.  As I tried to edit or delete various items, I found that someone kept on putting them back the way they were.

The upshot is that there is no one head person to speak to.  Evidently you have to go through the layers of bureaucracy to fix an error or to make your opinion known and woe betide anyone who has someone else who takes great pleasure in screwing things up (heck, I tried to correct the name of a cemetery only to have it returned to the original wrong name, even when I sent in death certificates noting that the people were buried in the "Wise Cemetery".  A day or two later and the name would be changed back

Thanks for letting me rant

•  I was thinking the same thing. (1+ / 0-)
    lexalou

And yahoo did the same with its email.  It's like some programmers feel they have to justify their existence.

"So listen, oh, Don't wait." Vampire Weekend.

by Publius2008 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 09:31:38 PM PDT

•  It's a train wreck. (2+ / 0-)
      MKSinSA, peptabysmal

And there is no response or tweaking forthcoming from the geenyusses behind the "improvements". For example, I'm not having a "conversation", I want to be able to tab mail for referencing, etc. A disaster built by and for Junior High kids.

•  It's (3+ / 0-)
        Aquarius40, lexalou, RiveroftheWest

usually either an edict coming down from On High, or a proj manager -- sorry to sound agist but often a new, younger manager -- trying to "stand out." And either way it's often ill-conceived and based on false assumptions. To put it in terms a non techie can relate to, it reminds me of an office years ago where a commandment went out that 'we' were spending too much on toilet paper. So they went to a much, much cheaper brand, so cheap it had to be ordered separately from a different supplier than the vender we were using for other supplies.

What a shock, the super thin toilet paper that couldn't absorb well generated lots of complaints (Not to mention one can imagine the possible icky hygiene shortcomings). But because it had been commanded by The One, no one pointed out the stupidity, or publicly mentioned since the greedy ass owner had blown 40k on a cute beamer put on the company's books but actually driven by his daughter at college, saving a few dollars in TP costs shouldn't be an issue.

The spin put out as the magnitude of the mistake became apparent was epic. I remember one junior toadie cackling to me about how complaints were REALLY GOOD news! It was a win-win, see, less money for toilet paper and, he smugly assured me since people were complaining, they would use the bathroom less thus generating even more TP savings.

But of course it took extra manhours to order and separately check the new vender's stuff in, the number of time ppl use the bathroom in a given workday is pretty much fixed by nature, plus employees adjusted by using way more of it per bathroom visit, i.e., no savings.

•  I'm glad I'm not the only map nerd. (1+ / 0-)
    peptabysmal

Google Maps is my #1 favorite time waster.  I also hated the upgrade.  It is incredibly laggy and is not as functional.

I would get to Street View by dragging the orange man to where I want to go.  But it did not snap to the grid particularly well, so I'd have to be incredibly precise with where I place him.

And regarding Windows, a good rule of thumb is that every other edition is good.  I'm waiting for Windows 9.

•  And just to add, (1+ / 0-)
      kat herder

I think some web developers have gone overboard with dynamic pages.  Like the sites that load more as you scroll down and stuff.  We're getting to the point where on some sites it's a nuisance rather than a convenience.

I do web programming as a hobby, as part of my job, and on-the-side work.  I'm far from a professional but I am a strong proponent of "keep it simple stupid" and "a little dab'll do ya."  Scripts that change the page dynamically are fun and useful in smaller doses.

•  What we need is a generation of programmers (1+ / 0-)
    NBBooks

and software outfits who have the goal of making Version 1.FINAL of their software.

Instead we've been getting the equivalent of cars with three tires (one the wrong size) and a brake that gets stuck, and it's sold to us as Version 1.0, with updates certain to follow. Please, no more.

No more bloat. Sell me the Word processor which lets me do fonts and page size and attributes, and 10 or 15 styles. Not thousands of styles built-in that I can't remove, and I have to go find a panel (or whatever you're calling the panel in this iteration) and then pick options. Let me print what I write.

If I want to go into fine publishing with graphics, then let me go and get that option, and add it on to my Version 1.FINAL.

I.Don't.Want.Infinite.Options.

I want to do specific things, and I want to know intuitively, or with a minimum of exploration, how to do those things.

And the day I stand before heaven in Judgement, I will swear that Abode has a final review panel for any software development: if they see that a function is intuitive; doesn't use jargon to replace an ordinary English Word; doesn't require clutter with as many 'palettes' (or whatever they're calling it this iteration) as humanly possible... that software is sent back for more 'development.'

No, I am not a geek; nor an enthusiast for spending hours learning geek-speak and the new features I never wanted and the new ways of doing things which are different from the ways I've spent hours learning previously.

What's needed, I think, is a Federal Program which requires software companies to stop developing something for two or three years and pays such people to go out in the world and do real things. Then come back with something completely new. Which will be Version 1.Final.

Real fixes, outside the coffin fixes, ain't ever pragmatic says DC Bubble Conventional Wisdoom.

by Jim P on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 09:50:29 PM PDT

•  That will never happen (0+ / 0-)

Especially in the age of Internet software, where the mantra is software is never done. Truly, that's what we say in tech.

I see the cons of having always-updating software, but the pros include being able to deploy bug fixes on the spot. Often times, updates are made under the hood, so to speak, that improves performance and solves bugs that many users may not have even noticed. You can't do that with boxed software.

Also, I think it has to do with conditioning and expectations of change. Regarding the OP's analogy to gas and break peddles, yes, that would greatly annoy me and cause massive safety hazards were auto makers to switch their positions. But I've been conditioned to expect continual change from Internet products; as such, I'm generally OK with it.

•  That's my point. "Conditioned to accept it" (0+ / 0-)

It goes out with bugs because there's a rush to get it to market. It's the consumers who then spend millions of hours updating, getting the newest versions, etc. It's a perfect example of the 'export the costs to society' thinking which degrades everyone, and the quality of everything, involved.

Well, do it right before you send it out. In a worst case, you can send out a bug patch without creating a new version entirely.

I'll tell you, the company which bucks the conventions will make a mint. "Buy this, it works, end of story. Basic version; Version with xyz capabilities; Version with all capabilities. Take your pick."

The average person who simply doesn't give a damn about 95% of the 'new' features packed into each new version isn't interested in the 'shiny' which seems to drive the tech-creators. Nor in learning new jargon, and then having the jargon change from one version to another for the same functions.

And then: why am I clicking 'OK' on the right and 'Cancel" on the left for five years and three versions, and now it's the opposite? Why do I have to squander my time on new versions which a) force me to relearn what has long-ago become second nature, and b) slows me down with features I never wanted.

Plus, especially with Adobe, everything is so stupid because, with the publishing software at least, you have to constantly be shifting tools. The page-up key behaves different if you have the direct selection tool, and it does something else if you have the type tool. Why enslave us to the tools? Ach! Grmmble, grmmble, grmmble.

No, there's definitely contempt for the consumer in the computer software industry, even with all the iMe and iFart kind of stuff which is supposed to make life easier.

by Jim P on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 12:02:02 PM PDT

•  On google maps I've seen the apartment (1+ / 0-)
    chaboard

complex a friend teaching in Azerbaijan lived. Could measure how far a walk to her favorite sea-side spot, and see the spot. Couldn't get street view, but even just to see the setting was quite amazing. I mean, this is wild-ass science fiction 40 years ago.

by Jim P on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 09:54:31 PM PDT

•  The (6+ / 0-)

icon thing and symbology in general is dead on. Answer: they are purposely confusing users in some cases to serve a corporate moron or two. I pinned down a dev project manager a few months ago on a button used in an app at work. It used to say "Chat," now it's been moved to a different place and shows a polygon with lines coming out. It's supposed to be a speaker. He tells me, users are supposed to see that and think "Chat" ... seriously, someone actually thought that dumbassery up, ran it up the flag pole, and a bunch of other incompetent ass kissers saluted.

The reason I was told had to do with "branding". They're being ordered to do shit like that because some overpaid nitwit wants to 'change the game' or some other delusional corporate bullshit.

kat herder

I thought I was alone and being old-fogeyish in my hatred and inability to operate the new one.

Thanks to someone in the comments, I now know how to get the original back.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 10:47:56 PM PDT

•  There are other problems... (1+ / 0-)
    mattc129

The ability to import .kml files to create custom overlay maps has either vanished in the new google maps, or been moved to a "pro" version that you have to pay for. Sure, this is an obscure feature, and it's google's prerogative to charge for stuff they do, but it still sucks when the new version of any software "does less" than the old one.

In addition, last time I checked, there was no way to get to the topographic view in the new google maps... something I use a lot. I'm sure they'll add this eventually.

There are options out there... check out open street maps. Sure, the data set isn't as good as Googles... yet. But, it's open-source, and you can bet that any corrections you make to this will remain open-source, and not "the property of Google" which is what happens when you submit fixes to Google's maps.

Freedom isn't free. That's why we pay taxes.

by walk2live on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 10:49:12 PM PDT

•  KML in Google Maps or Google Earth desktop app? (0+ / 0-)

I remember saving and reimporting KML files on the Google Earth desktop app, but maybe they removed it from Google Earth, too. Never knew you could do that on Google Maps, wish I did at the time.

•  It changed? (0+ / 0-)

I seriously didn't notice.

I love president Obama!!!

by freakofsociety on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 11:01:06 PM PDT

•  A somewhat more enlightened country... (0+ / 0-)

...would take advantage of resources already available, namely the United States Geological Survey, and use it to make their own mapping site.

"If you are still playing for Team Republican and want to have any honor whatsoever, you need to leave the Republican Party now, apologize to America, and work to remove it from our political system." - Brad DeLong

by radabush on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 11:48:18 PM PDT

•  My reaction was very similar. (0+ / 0-)

I missed the ability to update and add discriptions to the map.
    Went back to the old verson.

To Goldman Sachs in according to their desires, From us in accordance with the IRS.

by Bluehawk on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 12:25:14 AM PDT

•  Traffic view sucks now too (0+ / 0-)

On the old Maps, it shows you all the traffic in a given area, to whatever level of detail you're zoomed into. On the new one, it only shows you traffic for a single specific route at a time - and the traffic indicators are just about completely hidden underneath the thick line marking the route in the first place. Half the reason I liked the traffic view was to see which of several possible routes I wanted.

NH4JL DIT '04, NHDP DIT '08!

by realnrh on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 12:30:10 AM PDT

•  Kinda obsessive-compulsive, but find a copy (0+ / 0-)

of "Tog on Interface."

Unfortunately, on the Web, every coder is a graphics whiz and every graphic artist is an interface designer.

Generally, we are forced to use crap.

Thump! Bang. Whack-boing. It's dub!

by dadadata on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 05:11:07 AM PDT

•  Drag to change route (0+ / 0-)

Another lost function was drag to change the route.

Why in the world would they throw out such a function?  Don't they know how and why people use it?

I use it:
    -Because I know what traffic patterns are like at different times of day
    -Because I want to pass by something particular
    -Because I know about ongoing construction

Until someone here posted the reversion link, I had gone to MapQuest.

•  I am getting old Google Maps right now by default (0+ / 0-)

I am on one of my PCs where I have not used Google Maps for a while. I just went to the site, in IE and FireFox, and both come up by default to the prior version of Google.Maps, with an initial message in a black on yellow box at top of the map "Search, navigate, and explore with the new Google Maps, coming to your desktop soon. Try it now (link). Dismiss (Link)"

I am wondering if Google has already felt the heat.

I had hit Google Maps a few days ago on a different PC, and was disgusted with the new interface, but had not had time to dig into it or pursue the matter.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." “When you come to the fork in the road, take it.” --Yogi Berra

by HeartlandLiberal on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 06:08:30 AM PDT

•  It's still easy (for me)... (0+ / 0-)

If you use the mouse's scrolling wheel, it will zoom in, keep on scrolling until it zooms to it's max and then it will jump to street view automatically (if available).

•  I totally concur with your diary (0+ / 0-)

I clicked on "switch to new maps" by accident.  Took me quite a while to get back, then it kept coming after me, switching willy nilly over to new maps.  They finally fixed that problem, now I'm back FOR GOOD to old maps.

I honestly couldn't identify any feature in new maps that is as good as old maps.  It's just different.

Google may be nearing the end of its life cycle, as in "What do we do next to make more money".

•  MS Word on 2010 office - Help off the screen (0+ / 0-)

click on help and something comes up and then goes crazy

i get help from google search

anyone know how to get Help to work?

•  Google Screwed up Youtube too. (0+ / 0-)

I have been using Youtube for years to post up instructional videos.  I and others have stopped adding videos because Google has taken away our ability to display playlists in the order we want to.  They show up in chronological order.  I want my videos to show up in the order at which people progress through our training program, NOT in the order that playlists get added.  I and others have stopped generating new content because Google has removed our ability to put the content up in a way that makes sense.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix

by Dave B on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 07:22:27 AM PDT

•  Yep (0+ / 0-)
    ...hold software engineers in about as low esteem as traffic engineers.
  •  Thanks for the tip (0+ / 0-)

On how to get back to the old version.

•  they are not making the changes for you (2+ / 0-)
    kimoconnor, peptabysmal

when something is "free" then YOU are the product. They are making the changes for the people who are buying you. or rather, so that they can get a better price for you and can sell you more often.

•  Yea 100% agreed. Same experience. (0+ / 0-)

When we talk about war, we're really talking about peace.

by genethefiend on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 07:57:20 AM PDT

•  A Delete Button represent a foreign concept 2 Goog (0+ / 0-)
  •  Totally agree, I also looked for alternative maps (0+ / 0-)

I truly hate the new maps, and until I found I could avoid them I also looked for a feedback option.

Why on earth would these tech companies make it impossible or nearly to offer feedback? Seems they do not give a damn what their own customers think!

Oh, and I hate Gmail too, I would not even use it if I did not have to for one job, I do not want all that email in my personal inbox. I mean, why can't they show you replied to a message in the inbox like every other email system I know?

Great rant, thanks!

•  Agree that Flash sucks but Reply icon in Gmail is (0+ / 0-)

likely an icon because Gmail is a worldwide product, and it would be more difficult for the design to accommodate the word Reply in the button itself in all the languages Google has to serve. If you hover over buttons in Gmail, black tooltips fade in and tell you the action, which is where I imagine all language translation takes place. However, placing the word in the button itself would likely cause it to be misaligned in languages where the word reply is longer than say 5 or 6 characters.

Also, regarding the shape of the Reply icon itself, a curved arrow pointing left is a common design found in a wide range of email clients. Mac Mail, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, and many others use that icon as it's a standard.

•  The new Maps doesn't use Flash. Huge win IMO. (0+ / 0-)

I don't mind the new interface and I LOVE that it doesn't use Flash for Street View. Flash is such a resource hog.

•  I'm with you. (1+ / 0-)
    kat herder

The new Google Maps is on my "must avoid" list now. Not only is the new interface extremely annoying, but it freezes my computer... I have to turn it off and turn it back on. Now I go to Yahoo Maps. If anyone can recommend anything better, that would be great.

Also Adobe. Graphic designer here. Professional web developer, as well. Was a huge fan of Adobe products for years and years. Like many other designers, I HATE the Cloud! Got that Adobe? I am not replacing my CS5.5 until I absolutely have to, and then it will be with anything but the damn Cloud!

curious portal - to a world of paintings, lyric-poems, art writing, and graphic and web design

by asterkitty on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 09:07:57 AM PDT

•  "Classic" vs. "Old" Google maps (1+ / 0-)
    RiveroftheWest

In addition to agreeing with all of the comments posted in the diary and in replies about why the new Google maps is a royal PITA to use, one pet peeve of mine is how when you reply to the prompt to say that yes, you want to go back to "Classic" Google Maps, before you can actually get there you have to answer a questionnaire about why you want to go beck to "Old" Google maps, like, hey old fart, why do you want to use old technology, stupid? It's as if they don't want to publicly diss their "Classic" map format but if you go ahead and decide to stick with it, they're going to call it, and you, "old." Ok, I'm reading a lot into this but it really irritates me. That and the fact that I keep getting thrown back to the new Google Maps no matter how many times I say that I want to stick with the old one. I agree with others who say it's probably just a matter of time before we won't be able to go back to the old one at all.